Since the Association's founding in 1939, AIHA’s annual conference has focused on the important trends, needs, research, technologies, training, and connections that make OEHS professionals – all of whom are responsible for the safety, health, and environment of today’s workspaces – more efficient in their pursuit of protecting worker health.
It's not just a conference... it is an EXPerience.
- Main Conference: May 23-25, 2022
- Professional Development Courses: May 21, 22, and 26
Occupational health and safety scientists, industrial hygienists, EHS specialists, safety professionals, risk management professionals, consultants, and others responsible for safety, health, and the environment at their organizations
AIHce EXP provides a wealth of knowledge and expertise through a varied array of quality, peer-reviewed presentations. A diverse menu of formats, including general sessions, lectures, interactive learning, product demos, poster sessions, and pre- and post-conference Professional Development Courses (PDCs), provide multiple pathways to learning.
In the beginning...
In 1961, AIHA® and ACGIH® jointly sponsored the first wholly separate conference and exposition for industrial hygienists. Up to this point, AIHA had been invited, since its founding in 1939, as a participant organization in a joint conference lead by the American Association of Industrial Physicians and Surgeons (AAIPS).
Through 2019, AIHA, with help from ACGIH, has held what is now known as AIHce EXP. Featuring more than 200 exhibitors and nearly 4,500 attendees, this annual conference is known as the premier event for IH/OH professionals around the world. In 2020, due to the COVID-19 pandemic, AIHA canceled the Atlanta, GA live event and instead held a fully virtual conference online. This first-of-its-kind event in the IH/OEHS industry drew 2,250 attendees.
Looking for some easy icebreaker material at your next conference networking event? Here are some interesting conference facts:
- AIHA's initial formulation occurred at the American Conference on Occupational Diseases and Industrial Hygiene conference in Cleveland in June 1939.
- The 1961 conference had just over 700 attendees (including exhibitors).
- The conference is typically located in cities with convention/conference centers capable of handling a large number of anticipated attendees.
- Poster sessions were introduced into the conference program in 1977.
- The first AIHA conference (in partnership with AAIPS) in 1940 was free to attendees; the registration fee in 1941 and 1942 was $1.
- The 1971 conference in Toronto was the first AIHce held outside the United States.
- In Houston, Texas, the 1980 AIHce was held for the first time outside of a hotel at the Albert Thomas Convention Center. The conference has been exclusively held at conference and convention centers since then.
- In 2020 and 2021, AIHA canceled the in-person event due to the COVID-19 pandemic; instead, AIHA moved on its own to hold these conferences as 100% virtual conferences.